Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Peace Corps Service at the Gasprinskiy Library comes to an end



Last Thursday (June 20th) was my final day at the Gasprinskiy Library after serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer for four years. The usual Peace Corps service is for two years, but I extended twice for a total of four years, the maximum amount of time a Volunteer can serve at one site. Needless to say, I loved working at the Gasprinskiy Library and didn’t want to leave!

Inci Bowman from International Committee for Crimea (ICC) asked that I do an interview for the ICC website (iccrimea.com) about my experiences working as a Peace Corps Volunteer at the Gasprinskiy Library. I am very happy to do the interview, as it will give me an opportunity to reflect on my time here. I will publish the interview on my blog to share my thoughts with you dear readers. Now I am preparing to leave for Kyiv and my final day in the Peace Corps at the Ukraine headquarters, and then I am off to Georgia for a three-week hiking trip in the Caucasus with another Peace Corps Volunteer. 

Here are some photos from the lovely farewell celebration the library had for me on Thursday:
With Alie, Director of Window on America Center, who helped me with translating.

Gulnara, Director of the library, gives me a present of Crimean Tatar needlework.

And flowers too!

Natalia, Director of the Orlovka Children's Library, gives me a I Love Crimea bag.

Watching the powerpoint I prepared on my library memories.

Refreshments on the porch of the library (which I missed because of a TV interview).
 
Young Crimean Tatar girls give a performance of traditional dance.

With Nadije and Leonad, Director of the NGO KrimTiz that we partnered with on our last SPA project.
And lots of posing with the Library staff:







THANK YOU GASPRINSKIY LIBRARY FOR A WONDERFUL FOUR YEARS. IT WAS AN HONOR TO SERVE IN THE LIBRARY AS A PEACE CORPS VOLUNTEER.

2 comments: